Welcome!

This is my blog for Tom Houston Photography. My aim here is to help share knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to know some very smart and helpful photographers who have helped me a lot with my photography. This blog is how I want to return the favour, give back and help out others.

I hope you enjoy,

Tom

Friday 21 October 2011

Focus: Location, Location, Location.

Focus: Location, Location, Location.


Sometimes the difference between a good shot and a great shot is where you choose to take the photo from.  There are a lot of different factors to your location you choose to take your photo from.  The one I will be discussing in this article is getting to the right viewpoint to get a better photo.

I thought I would write a thing about this because when I was at Inglis Falls I noticed how important this is.  First there is a lookout by the parking lot that most people look at the falls from.  Then from there you can walk down further which gives you a better look out at the front of the falls.  From there you can walk even further and you find yourself off the nice path.  It gets very rocky and involves a downhill trek to the river and the falls.  From here you have to hike up slippery rocks to get closer to the falls.  But this is worth it to get a better shot.

I decided to write this because as my friend and I were trekking up the river, we past two photographers that looked like they were more than amateur photographers.  My friend and I decided to try to get closer to the falls and it was a little dangerous but we managed.  I got as far as I was willing to go due to the very wet and slippery rocks however there was a large boulder in my way.  So I decided to hop over some of the river and climb onto the boulder to get a better view of the falls and it worked.

Luckily enough, my friend was there and got a shot of me on my perch I had:

Myself on my perch - Photo Credit: Jacob Heyden-Thomas

So sometimes to get a better shot you have to be willing to risk a little more and push yourself further.  But do that safely since I almost did go swimming with my camera trekking up the side of the river.  But because I pushed on I got a shot like this:

Inglis Falls - 17-55mm
Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment