Welcome!

This is my blog for Tom Houston Photography. My aim here is to help share knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to know some very smart and helpful photographers who have helped me a lot with my photography. This blog is how I want to return the favour, give back and help out others.

I hope you enjoy,

Tom

Saturday 3 March 2012

THP Tip #2: Portrait Photography

My first THP Tip on Bokeh for portrait photography which can be seen here.  So here is my second THP Tip for portrait photography:


Comfort!

One of my top goals of a photo shoot is just making sure the model is comfortable.  It seems intuitive however sometimes people forget some things which you can see it in photos sometimes.  

There are many ways to make a subject comfortable for example, making sure they are not too hot or too cold during a shoot.  Easy things like that.  However I have asked a lot of people who don't model to model for me and I have learned a lot from working with first time models.  Here are some things I have learned in terms of communication.  

First, if you are working with a subject that has not been in front of a camera for portraits a lot, it is a good idea to keep it simple.  I usually let them pick out their favourite outfits.  Normally I add in some ideas so they know what to think of wearing and so they don't pick anything too crazy.  But sometimes it is nice to have a model wear something different that is not the norm.  

Chances are if they are really comfortable with wearing their outfit, they will be more comfortable getting photos taken in it.  I think that if you push someone too far out of their comfort zone, it will show in the photos.  Also I give some edited photos to my friends who model for me for Facebook or what ever personal use they use it for.  If I make them wear a ridiculous outfit they don't like or feel comfortable in, and it shows in the photos... Then you are giving them photos of themselves looking awkward in an outfit they didn't like.  What a great keepsake from a shoot that they will love to showoff...

Another thing is always suggest is if they bring a friend or someone along to the shoot.  I always do that now because it makes for a much better shoot usually.  Also you just got yourself an assistant sometimes out of that deal.  I have done shoots for a friend who does makeup and we usually have a couple of friends to model there.  Having a group at a shoot is always a bonus.  They can help hold light stands, fix hair, help with clothing ideas and such.  Never hurts to have more hands, or at least someone to help keep conversations going while you get stunning photos.  Sometimes they even help guide their friends for poses and help give ideas.  So when a model, or whomever, brings a chaperone is a win-win situation usually.

I could keep writing on this subject however I will call it here.  So there are many ways of making sure the model is comfortable and this tip was just one or two things to do.  So if you just do the things I stated here you might not get a return customer.  However if you add bits of all of this to what you already do (or read if you are just starting) then you will hopefully make you subjects more comfortable.  This will help your photos because keeping the model comfortable is paramount since uncomfortable looking photos don't help you, the model or how people interpret your photos.  I personally think it looks bad for a photographer if a model looks really uncomfortable in the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment