Welcome!

This is my blog for Tom Houston Photography. My aim here is to help share knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to know some very smart and helpful photographers who have helped me a lot with my photography. This blog is how I want to return the favour, give back and help out others.

I hope you enjoy,

Tom

Friday 16 September 2011

Update: SB-900

Hey,

So I decided that my 50mm f/1.4 D is perfectly fine for my use.  I was drooling over a 85mm but the bokeh of my 50 is spot on and I always end up having it on my camera in a shoot.  Doesn't matter if I start with my 35mm or 105mm Macro, the 50mm will end up on my camera and not budging.

And since I don't need to save up for a 85mm and that I am getting more into shoots and macro work I decided after thinking for awhile now that a SB-900 would be best for where I am right now.  An 85mm would still be amazing but I think it would just bring more compression into my photos and maybe a little better bokeh which to me right now is not worth over $1000 for.  I was thinking about the SB-700 since mostly what I wanted was more ease of use.  However there is no point in partially upgrading if I know that I will probably end up wanting a SB-900 later so I might as well only upgrade once.  Also the SB-700 is less powerful than my SB-600 I have now.

So a SB-900 is on it's way now.  It should be good and it wont fit in my case ahah but oh well.  I will just put all my lighting jazz in my lowe pro sling bag.  Also I do have two flash stands and umbrellas so I am set there.

Pretty pumped for the SB-900 and I will definitely give it a good workout before I review it.  From my research it is quite the flash so may take a while for me to actually use most of what it has to offer.  I have usually only had one flash on my models when I do portraits so I am pretty excited to double that to two haha.   Anywho, stay posted for new photos that may have SB-900 in their tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment