Welcome!

This is my blog for Tom Houston Photography. My aim here is to help share knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to know some very smart and helpful photographers who have helped me a lot with my photography. This blog is how I want to return the favour, give back and help out others.

I hope you enjoy,

Tom

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Review: Initial Review of SB-900

Review: Initial Review of SB-900


Well, where do I begin.   

Thoughts and Opinions:

This is one beast of a flash, and I am pumped to have it now.  From my first impressions of taking the flash out of the case I loved it's design.  In the case itself the diffuser and gel holder is in the bottom zippered area while the flash is in the velcro flapped case.  Most might toss this case straight into the garbage however I have a full Nanuk 925 hardcase so I am going to keep it. I will also keep the flash in the case it came in and carry it in my lowe pro sling back.  I will also keep my other lighting gear in there as well (since my case is full).  

So now the flash.  It's big, it's bad and it's huge.  First off, one reason I got this flash was the on and off (as well as remote and master) switch.  This switch is much easier to use and offers much better functionality.  The SB-600 isn't that great in terms of turning it on and off as well as to the remote mode.  The zoom function is also easy to use as well as changing through the modes.  The modes are easy to understand so far and it is not so different from the SB-600.


Usage:

All I have done is just played around with the settings so far however I have a couple of shoots planned so it will get it's work cut out for it.
Pros:

From my initial thoughts,

- Ease of use
- Power
- Functionality

Cons:

- Large (However that is for power I am guessing.  Also the head has to be large to allow for a 200mm zoom)
- Heavy (but a workout is never terrible)

(I am being optimistic but I will let you know after a day of shooting with it)
Sample Images:

None at this time.
Conclusions: 

I am looking forwards to using this flash in the near future for sure.  And I will let you know what I conclude after I use the flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment