Welcome!

This is my blog for Tom Houston Photography. My aim here is to help share knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to know some very smart and helpful photographers who have helped me a lot with my photography. This blog is how I want to return the favour, give back and help out others.

I hope you enjoy,

Tom

Friday 10 June 2011

Northern Quebec & The 17-55mm

So, I have now been up in northern Quebec for about a month now and it has some very nice scenery.  I have been very busy during the day so I usually only have time to take photos at night.  Personally I love the sunsets in the north.  I don't know what it is about them but they are very nice.


I have been mostly using my 17-55mm since it is new and I want to see what it can do still.  So far I am very impressed with it.  I love my Tokina 11-16mm but I am learning it is nice to not see everything in front of you sometimes.  Usually there isn't too much framing you have to do at 11mm cause it sees so much however the 17-55mm is nice because you can be a little more picky.  The Tokina at 16mm is good but it is nice to have the more versatility with the 17-55mm in a place where you never know what you will see.  I also really like the colour rendition of the 17-55mm.


Personally, I think up here I have shot some of my the best sunset photos I have.  So the 17-55mm has been very good up here.  I can be taking photos of a sunset and then look down and then take photos of shot gun shells laying on the beach.  It was nice not having to switch between lenses to take photos of the sunset and the shells.


Eastmain, QC - 17-55mm


Eastmain & James Bay - Quebec - 17-55mm


Shot Gun Shells - Eastmain, QC - 17-55mm


James Bay Sunset - Quebec - 17-55mm
So all and all I am impressed with this lens and the scenery up here in northern Quebec.  And for the record I really like the first and last photo of the ones above.  So I made them a little larger than the other two.  That's all for now.  


More on my Flickr Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomjbh/sets/72157626903574952/

No comments:

Post a Comment